Repela™ Combi (Anti-Termite & Anti-Rodent Masterbatch) combines powerful deterrents that effectively protect compounded materials from damage by rodents, termites, and other insects. Widely used in such applications as electric and fiber optic cables, plastic pipes, foam insulation, plastic bags, and many other product, Repela™ Combi joins together the deterrents found in Repela™ for Rodents and Repela™ for Insects to offer the widest range of protection. This is the complete Anti-rodent, Anti-termite solution.
The work that led to the creation of Repela™ family of products was first done by the USDA and released in whitepapers in 1999 and 2000. Aversion Technologies took these great ideas and created a manageable product. With the Combi product we build on a great idea and advance it so that we can Then USDA worked with two powders that are very fine and extremely aversive – denatonium benzoate and capsaicinoids. Both of these powders can be difficult to handle, but Aversion Technologies’ Repela™ minimizes those handling issues by putting the powders into a carrier that matches the customer’s requirements.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Wildlife Research Center’s study can be downloaded here –
How it works
What the research has proven is that animals chew on plastic materials because they look good, smell good and taste good – Repela™ alters that attractiveness in the following six ways:
- First, Repela™ has a distinct odor that is unappetizing to animals.
- Second, when the animal bites into the plastic, they will experience an extremely foul-tasting material.
- Third, this foul-taste experience is combined with a extraordinarily pungency that causes severe distress to the mucosa of the animal, making the mouth, nose and eyes burn.
- Fourth, this combination of experiences causes an animal to fear the plastic and in future, the animal will associate the odor with the experience. This leads to behavior modification and animals avoid these products in the future.
- Fifth, and most amazingly, animals not only remember the bad experience, it has been found that they pass on the knowledge to its progeny.
- Sixth, the fear response and unpleasant reaction is also communicated to other animals in the vicinity.
Aversion Technologies is guided by the principle of doing no harm to people, plants, or animals and no damage to the environment. Our approach is to not injure animals or add hazardous chemicals to the environment. Using Repela™ meets these goals. Repela™ does not harm animals. Furthermore, Repela™ is permanently captured in the polymer so that it does not leach into the environment.